We are very pleased to announce that Joyful Noise has partnered with one of our favorite labels, People In A Position To Know! If you are unfamiliar with PIAPTK, you must get acquainted. For the past 8 years, PIAPTK has brazenly pushed the boundaries of physical media in a way that is downright awe-inspiring.
Founded by Mike Dixon (no relation to the other Mike Dixon in Memory Map), PIAPTK has a long track record of insanely constructed releases, such as the CD-Record Series (CDs that also play on turntables), and an absolutely brilliant 6-sided record design, and playable vinyl records made from upcycled items such as picnic plates, laserdiscs, X-rays, plexiglass, etc.
Throughout 2014 we’ve become good friends with Mike, having hired him to create several lathe-cut releases, and cut records live at WARMfest. Mike’s approach embodies much of what we aspire to at JNR, and after seeing his endless box of prototypes, we are very excited to incorporate his designs into a plethora of VIP-exclusive releases.
It’s an absolute honor to be bringing Mike into the fold as a JNR team member, and bring PIAPTK on as an official Joyful Noise imprint. Effective immediately, Mike will be working alongside myself and artwork director David Woodruff as release strategist and creative director for JNR. In addition to helping with creative strategy for large-scale releases, Mike will also be hand-crafting ultra-limited records as the label’s in-house lathe-cut manufacturer. We are extremely excited about the potential this brings to our releases, and we aim to do some really crazy shit in 2015.
More news will be coming soon. In the meantime, check out Arizona Public Media’s video feature on Mike, and the PIAPTK website.
President & Curator
Joyful Noise Recordings
For the next week only, these shirts are $10 from our site.
The signed and screen-printed poster is $20.
Next Level Apparel tri-blend racer-back tank,
art by Beth Griffin as part of K’s tour t-shirt design contest.
Unisex Next Level Apparel Tank Top,
design by Paige Bowman as part of K’s tour t-shirt design contest.
KB_poster 18″ x 24″ 4 color screenprint,
designed by I <3 JPL, hand-screen-printed by In Case of Emergency Press.
Signed by Kishi Bashi.
Yes, indeed… WE ARE CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FALL 2014 INTERN SESSION!
The three-month session begins Friday, August 22nd, and extends through November 21st. Internship requires a commitment of two four-hour shifts per week at our Indianapolis headquarters. (We apologize out-of-towners, but you actually must be physically present to participate in the internship.) If accepted, here are some of the advantages of interning at JNR:
– first hand experience working in the music industry
– in many cases, you can get college credit
– you get to work one-on-one with with our staff, helping promote some of the best bands in the world
– you get free new releases, shirts, etc.
– in most instances, you’ll be on the guest list for shows by JNR artists
– you get to pad your resume and use us as a reference, while bragging to all your friends that you work for a super cool indie label
If this sounds like the job for you, fill out the application below! However, be aware that this internship is not for everyone. This is an unpaid position, reserved for those who are culturally in line with the label and who are hungry to learn. Applicants must be obsessively passionate about music, and at least somewhat familiar with Joyful Noise artists & releases.
If you have any questions please contact email@example.com.
Thanks! <3 JNR
In just a few days from now Kishi Bashi will be traveling to London & Paris on a quick promo tour (giving interviews, filming video sessions, etc).
We thought it would be super fun to arrange for Kishi Bashi to play an intimate living room show in both London (on Tues April 15) and Paris (on Thurs April 17). So: who’s interested in having Kishi Bashi play their living room????
Here is how it would work:
1. We would need you to have a house or loft space that can comfortably host 25-40 people. A place with a big living room, finished basement or other indoor residential space would be ideal.
2. The show will not be open to the public. We are looking for this to be an invite-only type of thing, with a “suggested donation” in the neighborhood of 20 pounds/euros per person.
3. We would rely on you to invite friends and fans of Kishi Bashi to come to the show. If you aren’t confident in your abilities to gather 25-40 people, we can help promote to Kishi Bashi’s fans. But then there will be strangers showing up to your house. And you’d have to be OK with that…
4. We don’t need a serious sound system, but do need a single guitar amplifier (for K’s violin), and ideally a separate PA (or amp) for vocals. If a vocal PA isn’t available, K will just sing without amplification like his Tiny Desk Concert. Please make sure that your neighbors are OK with the beautiful sounds of Kishi Bashi. We do not want to get shut down by the police.
If you are up for the challenge please email firstname.lastname@example.org to submit. Please include your contact info and reassure us that you are able to accomplish #1-4 above.
Questions? Ask any questions you may have in the comments below.
Finally! The wait is almost over!! The January and February flexis are scheduled to arrive to our office on Wednesday and we will be working non-stop to ship them out by Thursday afternoon. (If you ordered a Wooden Flexi Box, then it will also be included in this shipment.)
We are SO sorry about the huge delay. This is the third year we’ve done the flexi series, and this is the first time anything like this has happened. It was truly unprecedented and unlikely to ever happen again. Our vinyl manufacturer’s flexi pressing operation is now fully up and running, and things will be getting back to normal soon.
Looking forward, our manufacturer has informed us that the March flexis are scheduled to arrive on April 13, and the April flexis are scheduled to arrive on April 22. We will be shipping the March & April flexis out to you the moment they arrive, and we are hoping that the manufacturing plant will be fully caught up and back on schedule by May.
Keep an eye out for your flexis, and expect some free goodies to say thank you again for your patience and understanding.
Yep, Kishi Bashi has a new album on the horizon! The new album is titled “Lighght” (pronounced “light”) and will be released worldwide on May 13 via Joyful Noise. Yep, that’s the insane cover art pictured above. The album takes its title from the one-word poem by minimalist poet Aram Saroyan. Musically the album expands the sound of his critically acclaimed debut 151a to include not just avant-pop, but Eastern-tinged arrangements, gentle ballads, Philip Glass inspired improvisations, and more than a few moments that flirt with 70s prog (in the tradition of ELO or Yes).
The first song from the album is “Philosophize In It! Chemicalize With It!” – an orchestrated and fully realized final version of the track featured on the limited edition 7″ released a few months ago. Stream the song above!
Pre-Order will be available within the next two weeks, so keep your eyes peeled! And yes, we will have a special VIP-Exclusive edition. Until then, if you are headed to SXSW, you should check out Kishi Bashi at one of the following shows:
Friday, March 14 – Aerobic International OFFICIAL SXSW Showcase at Half Step Bar
Saturday, March 15 – Pandora Showcase at The Gatsby
Saturday, March 15 – Denver Post Reverb Showcase at The Dirty Dog
Saturday, March 15 – Wild Honey Pie Presents “The Beehive Showcase” at Cheer Up Charlie’s
- Debut – Impromptu
- Philosophize In It! Chemicalize With It!
- The Ballad of Mr. Steak
- Carry on Phenomenon
- Bittersweet Genesis for Him AND Her
- Impromptu no 1
- Once Upon a Lucid Dream (in Afrikaans)
- Hahaha Pt. 1
- Hahaha Pt. 2
- In Fantasia
Cover Art available here: